Friday, October 12, 2007

2 weeks of thoughts...

Since Somerset Patriots season ended, here are some work-related thoughts I've had:

1) I finished reading The Bronx Zoo today and as I read it, I couldn't help but hear Sparky Lyle's voice in my head saying the stuff I was reading. Almost 30 years later, Lyle still uses the same terms to describe the same situations. And so many of the things he said about the Patriots playoff chase this year -- how they needed to go 5-2 in this week or sweep this early September series -- were things he was saying during the historic 1978 Yankees comeback. I was almost embarrassed to say I had not read that book for the first two years I covered the team. It was an off-season goal of mine.

2) I'm at a high school football game right now. Highland Park at Middlesex. I don't cover much high school football, but I covered Highland Park last week and their running back, Bryant Fitzgerald, is big time. He is listed at 5-10 and 170 pounds and is probably smaller than that but the best way to describe his play is to tell you it reminds me of Reggie Bush in Madden 2008. He's running at a different speed than even if the fastest players around him. Someone should scoop him up now, as a junior.

3) When did it get so cold out? I was wearing shorts during the Atlantic League Championship Series. Tonight, jeans, a long sleeve shirt, zip-up sweatshirt and beanie.

No comments: