Monday, June 25, 2007

Back on the beat...

I'm back on the job after missing the Patriots' first series in York. I needed those three days to work on my Tommy John story, which you can read here.
I was glad to have the three days off because I think this is a real solid story, but also because of what I've heard about York.
The situation for the players is well documented -- a dangerous outfield, no showers in the clubhouse, grass that might not stick -- but what about the situation for the press?
I've been told there was no press food -- which I would have made a stink about -- and the official scorer left one game in the 7th inning. He scored the rest of the game over the phone after someone else told him what they saw.
When outsiders say bad things about the Atlantic League, I usually stick up for it. I say the quality of play is high, the attendance is good most places, etc.
But these are the things they are talking about. Can you imagine the Triple-A Richmond Braves' scorer getting up and leaving in the 7th? If you have somewhere to be at 9 and the game starts at 7, take the day off. Give someone else a chance. What you might not know is anyone can score an independent league game. You don't need any qualifications or a card, just an opportunity.
As for the food, I've been served bad press box food before and food others like that I don't. No problem with either of those. But these people are here working hard to give your league publicity, the least you can do is make a small gesture of appreciation. Offer a hot dog.

No comments: