Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Harder to keep a diet on the road but easier to blog

I often mock myself for being out of shape and having a beer belly, but recently I decided to do something about it. The reason? The teasing by family members and friends has become excessive.
I've created my own diet -- no french fries and no regular soda.
You may ask, "Ryan, what is that really going to do?" but if you have any idea how often I eat french fries and drink regular soda, then you know it could do a lot.
It's been a week without both now, and it's been very tough.
I miss soda more than french fries and am getting sick of lemonade, fruit punch and water.
During college, I was once quoted as saying, "If I could only bring three things with me to a deserted island, one would definitely be a Pepsi."
Well, this self-invented diet has me feeling like I'm on a deserted island right now.
In reality, I'm on Long Island and it's hard to keep a diet on the road because of the limited food options. Had a calzone and a powerade today.
Central Islip, N.Y. is my favorite road trip because the hotel is nice, the town is nice, the ballpark is nice and there are options for social activity in the neighborhood.

As for the team...the Patriots blew a five-run lead Monday night for the second time in five days. Sparky Lyle ripped his bullpen after the game and again Tuesday afternoon. Frustration is clearly setting in for Lyle, who, for the first time in 1 1/2 years, has a lineup clicking on all nine cylinders. But no lead is safe with this bullpen and he fears over-using Saul Solveson and R.D. Spiehs, the only two guys who have earned his trust.
Other interesting notes: Todd Leathers is in the starting lineup Tuesday for the first time since June 10. Lyle's doghouse is a deep one, and it's hard to crawl out once you are in. Now that Leathers has a shot, let's see if he takes advantage. Two hits, and he could be back at first base Wednesday. An 0-fer could mean see you in July. ... Second baseman Danny Garcia is not in the starting lineup for the second consecutive day. Garcia, the Atlantic League stolen base leader, is said to need rest after starting the team's first 42 games. ... Paul Thorp, who pitched for Double-A Trenton as recently as last week, is expected to join the Patriots on Thursday. Thorp is a right-handed reliever with solid career numbers. That's not much to say, but it's more than you can say about most of the pitchers in the team's current bullpen. Thorp will put the Patriots at the league maximum 25-man roster, so expect a release in the ensuing days because the franchise traditionally prefers to go with 24 -- likely for financial reasons.

No comments: