Monday, September 3, 2007

Back from suspension, Ayala talks...

Patriots shortstop Elliott Ayala spoke to me Monday afternoon about his one-game suspension in the aftermath of an incident with umpire Chris Hubler.
Ayala made contact with Hubler's face while arguing a safe call at second base Friday night. He already had been ejected from the game at that point, and needed to be restrained from Hubler by home plate umpire Joe Cruz.
Ayala served a one-game suspension Sunday and is back in the starting lineup Monday night. If Ayala is ejected again this season, he will be handed an automatic two-game suspension.
He is the leadoff batter with Hubler behind the plate and it won't take long to see if there are any hard feelings on either side.

Update: First batter went smoothly. Take the first pitch, single to left on the second. So much for early drama.



Here is what Ayala said:

"It was the heat of the battle. It is in the past sense. It's something that happened, but I place no blame on him and me."

"I'd like to start. No grudges. It happens all the time in baseball. I'm not holding any grudges."

Did he make contact with Hubler's face?
"I don't think I did whatever he said I did. Nothing was intentional."

"I didn't say anything (worthy of an ejection). That's why (I got so angry)."

No comments: