Monday, April 14, 2008

Spring training begins Tuesday

Remember to check out the Courier News or Home News Tribune newspapers or Web sites every day beginning Tuesday for live spring training coverage. I will be at all eight practices/scrimmages as I have been for the past two years. The only difference is instead of being in Lakeland, Fla., I will be in Flemington, N.J.
Here is a list of the top five things I will be miss about spring training in Florida.

5) The sun tan. I am 75% Italian, so I'm pretty good at getting a tan without getting burnt.

4) Writing my stories for Play Ball and the daily newspapers sitting poolside.

3) The Steak 'N Shake next door to the hotel. Cheeseburgers, cheesesteaks, chicken sandwiches and milkshakes anytime you want them. During the past two years I've had milkshakes as early as 9 a.m. (cookie dough) and as late as 2 a.m. (oreo).

2) The hotel gazebo. A good place for nightlife.

1) Sharing a cramped hotel room for 8 days with another person. It's like freshman year of college, only you and your roommate have the same exact schedules so you are always together. OK....maybe this is one thing not to miss. But spring training does make me think of former colleague Matt Apgar, so here is a shoutout to Matt.

No comments: