Wednesday, May 9, 2007

The day my laptop died...

For those of you wondering why my I haven't blogged since Saturday afternoon, it's because later that night my laptop was destroyed by a foul ball. When I say "destroyed," I mean the A, S, Z, X, SHIFT AND CAPS LOCK buttons flew into the stands when a foul ball landed squarely on the keyboard. The laptop -- which is currently undergoing surgery with the Courier News IT department -- still powers on, but says "Fan Error" and then turns off. Anyone with any SERIOUS suggestions on how to salvage this machine, please feel free to post.

So I've been the best makeshift work I can. Saturday night I wrote my game story on the desktop computer in the press box and I've been borrowing a laptop since the incident. Luckily, Patriots Vice President of Public Relations Marc Russinoff did his best superhero impression -- during the same week Commerce Bank Ballpark hosted Spiderman Night -- and has been very accommodating. Same can be said for the Courier's IT department. Very helpful.

I also should mention that the food in the press box has been a real pleasant surprise this year. Those who know me, know my appreciation for the vastly unhealthy. So far this season, we've had two Burrito Nights from Chipolte, Pizza 'N Wings Day from Zupko's (by far my favorite days of the year and I will continually plug them on here this season), fried chicken sandwiches from Chick-fil-A and Dunkin' Donuts. Last year, I credited the Long Island Ducks for having the best press box meals, but at this pace, Somerset is going to surpass them. I'll be on the Isle from Tuesday-Thursday, so I'll get an early look.

Oh yeah, the Patriots are tied 3-3 in the eighth inning right now. Game started at 11:05 a.m. Four thousand screaming kids. Yelling players names every at-bat, singing along to the Spongebob Squarepants theme song and applauding the "No Homework" announcement. Fun day at the park.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

hope you survive the season on that diet.

geoff mosher said...

We are gathered here today to express our deepest remorse on the loss of one spectacular laptop, a portable computer that served its craft dutifully and practically, one that habored as much toleration for the greasy fingertips of its owner who could not avoid the allure of press box food as it did for wayward excursions to national armpits Bridgeport, Conn.; Atlantic City; Camden; and Lancaster, Pa. There will be other laptops in the future, but this one's service will never be forgotten.

geoff mosher said...

Didn't you say you only worked nights???

Caitlin said...

ZING!!!

yeah, what's with this day job?

Anonymous said...

We will now scatter the remaining buttons into the sea...

Simeon Pincus said...

Let me just say, as someone who was sitting right next to you when your laptop bit the big one, there was something disturbingly entertaining about it.

But not as much fun as Mosher's wedding!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeee! Nice job, bahdee!

Anonymous said...

Anon-a-moose is thinking that Ryan is very lucky that ball wasn't two feet in the other direction, or his face would have looked like his laptop.

Anonymous said...

Don't worry the cost of repairs will be deducted from your check... who hit the foul ball?

Anonymous said...

I don't know who hit the ball. Someone from Newark. I was so upset I missed the next inning of the game so my scoresheet is all fouled up. Yes, I used fouled on purpose.
--Ryan (just to lazy to log-in right now)