Friday, January 25, 2008

Math & Basketball

Is it possible to seed the Somerset County Tournament (and others like it) based on math?
At least one area coach thinks so.
I had an interesting conversation with that person Thursday night.

The basics:
Each team gets one point for a victory, plus additional points depending on the size of the school it beat. In other words, a victory over Ridge would be worth four points (one for the win, three because Ridge is a Group III school).
The same formula would be used for all winning teams with victories over non-public schools counting for points based on enrollment. If Pingry has a Group I enrollment, it would be a group one school, and beating the Big Blue would be a two-point win.
When it comes time to seed the tournament, the team with the most points is the top seed and the team with the least points is the 16th seed.
No challenging for seeds. No coaches wasting an off day at a 2-hour meeting.

The problem:
Why would a Group IV school ever want to play any Group I team? If the Group IV school wins, there is little to gain -- even if the Group I is a powerhouse such as University. If the Group IV school loses, there is plenty to lose.

Of course, I became a writer because I'm bad at math (not realizing at the time how many box scores I would have to handle) so someone else would have to tell me if this is a valid idea. If it is not, how can it be tweaked to become valid?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ryan,
Have you tried this at all? I'd love to see the results this year for the top seeds in the SCT to see if it would have changed anything.

Anonymous said...

My guess is the bracket would look very different than it does...