Wednesday, March 12, 2008

All-Area update

So I've put together my first, second and third teams for All-Area.
The problem is I have 18 names for 15 spots and I think my editor is going to notice.
That means I have to make a final cut of three names, which isn't going to be easy to do.
I think that there is a definitive top 18 and those three cuts are going to end up on "Honorable Mention," categorized alongside some 40 other girls.
I initially thought it was going to be easier to sort through All-Area this year after all those talented seniors graduated, but, after watching this season play out, it turns out I was wrong. The playing field was so level that it is hard to decipher a Third-Team All-Area player from an Honorable Mention player, and I really do not believe in arbitrary tiebreakers such as giving an edge to the senior or whose team played a stronger schedule.
And I am always constantly getting flooded with information about a player being named All-County or All-Conference.
Please realize that - while it might not sound like the most prestigious - Courier News All-Area might be the most competitive of any postseason honors a player in this area can receive.
Very few conferences have 34 teams to draw players from like I do, and The Star Ledger splits their honors by county and separates prep schools. That means I'm taking first-team players from their section and putting them on Third Team or Honorable Mention in mine.
As you can see, I am very stressed about this selection process.
One question: IS IT SOMERSET PATRIOTS SEASON YET?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

While the moose has enjoyed your high school basketball coverage, he can't wait until the Patriots season gets underway.

Spring training is a month and two days away. This pleases the moose greatly.

Anonymous said...

Ryan,

When will your picks be in the paper?

Anonymous said...

Just two thoughts? Are you able to give us some insight as to how you select the players? e.g., what criteria do you use and what else goes into the "formula", if you will. Also, one other note from way out in left field: could you please tell simeon that he would get more input on his blog if he allowed anonymous posts like you do? Thank you.

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Smartphone, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://smartphone-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

Jerry Carino said...

Don't forget to promote the podcast Ryan!

Seriously folks, we lose sleep over these selections.