Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Final HS basketball podcast has been posted!

Here is the link to the final podcast of the season recorded by Jerry Carino and I:

http://www.c-n.com/specialsections/podcasts/frezza/frezza0318.htm

I suggest listening to it because, as always, it's entertaining. But also because it reveals some insight as to where our respective minds are at in regards to All-Area. Who is on our short list for Coach of the Year, Player of the Year, number one team in the final Top 10 and First, Second and Third Team All-Area. It will tell you what we had an easy time selecting and what has us losing sleep.

***Remember, boys and girls basketball All-Area runs in the Varsity section of the newspaper this coming Saturday, Dec. 22. It is the one thing we do each year that I am most proud to be a part of and most relieved when it is over.

I will post once more on this blog after the picks have been revealed to give a brief explanation of each choice and then I will turn this blog over to the Somerset Patriots and their fans. Hope you all enjoyed the hoops coverage.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

After listening to the podcast I think the 1st team is Simmons, Zigarelli, Myatt, Houston and Miller. As far as Player of the Year, the only one I would cross off is Simmons - mainly because I think it will be her the next 2 years (along with Pre-Season Player of the Year honors). I think the other players, all seniors, have great 4 year careers and have really made their teams what they were this year. I hope one of them is honored and I look forward to supporting Simmons next year.

Anonymous said...

I agree. I think that is the first team all-area. Thought so before the podcast, and definitely think so. However, I think Simmons is the Player of the Year. It's very hard to decipher between those four seniors, and, if you listen carefully to Ryan on the podcast and on his blog, it's clear that Simmons wows him.

Anonymous said...

Listening to your podcast, it sounds like you've done a great job with everything, EXCEPT the top 10. From the sounds of it, it just doesn't seem right to me. I am hoping I don't see Westfield or Scotch Plains in there but I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing them there Saturday. I don't know what you see in them - they aren't that good, very overrated in my opinion.

Anonymous said...

Coach of the year> Whalen from Watchung. Player of the year Simmons from Gill. Her numbers are outragous across the board.

Anonymous said...

I think Whelan would be a good choice, but based on Ryan's writing/podcasts in the past I doubt he'd give it to her. He had a few nice things to say about the team towards the end of this year, but I've noticed the past few years he hasn't been much of a fan of the Warriors. I think he'll stick with the privates - Simmons for Player and Klinger-Coyle for Coach. It's obvious Rutger's Prep is the Top Team which I don't think many can disagree with.

Anonymous said...

WOW...Joe Marino

Anonymous said...

Joe Marino was a surprise. Simmons just had numbers you can't overlook. AT first I looked and said well who did Gill play. Schedule is not as weak as people in Somerset think. They played Trenton Catholic,Montgomery,West Morris,Rutgers prep,Hillsbourough,Ridge,Marist,Bridgewater,somerville,parssipany,Immaculate Heart,pennington prep who beat I think Rutgers prep. In the past i was not sure about Gill. Now I think they are for real.

Anonymous said...

What were Simmon's averages against the bigger teams?

Anonymous said...

I went on a max prep site and actually her numbers were better in the big games. Note, the team was about 500 against the bigger schools. But looking at what Gill had in depth. They actually had a great year. Marist, will probably end up in the top 15 in the final state ranking. Gill played head to head with that team until the end. I will definitely watch Gill more next season.