Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Day One/Two

12:04 p.m., Tuesday

Dear Diary,
I got to Lakeland at 11 last night and fulfilled my need for Steak 'N Shake immediately. I scarfed down a cheese and bacon double and oreo shake before even moving my luggage from the trunk of the Chevy Cobalt to my room -- which overlooks an IHOP.
The plan was to go to bed early since Courier News photographer Matt Apgar and I had to be at the ballpark for team photos by 8 a.m.
For the first time in my life, however, I got no sleep. You know how someone says, 'I got no sleep last night,' and you assume that means they slept very little. Well, I got NO SLEEP. I laid in bed starting at the bumpy patterned ceiling for 6.5 hours.
Not sure why I couldn't sleep. Excited? Nah, I came to spring training last year. Stressed? I'm pretty on top of my REALLY HEAVY work load right now. Not tired? I had trouble sleeping the night before, too, so it wasn't that.
Either way, here is a list of some of the extremely random things that raced through my mind while laying in bed.

Jerry Lewis' telethon; calling my mom and complaining about how I can't sleep; my mom's panicked reaction to that news; calling my girlfriend and telling and complaining about how I can't sleep; my girlfriend getting mad that I woke her up at 5 a.m. to complain; how many other people in the hotel were up and about (2, I checked at one point); Arena League Football; Patrick Ewing's blown layup in Game 7 against the Indiana Pacers; chicken wings at Hooters; how to throw a curveball; potential fantasy baseball sleepers; the movie Flashdance; why Pepsi Co. does not have a bottled water product.

I am very tired now as I prepare to head back to the stadium for 1 p.m. practice, BUT HERE IS SOME BASEBALL NEWS.

Patriots pitchers Josh Stewart and Tony Mounce, both former major leaguers, reported to camp Tuesday morning and promptly quit. Both informed the team's coaching staff that they "did not feel they belonged" there.
Pitching is always short in the Atlantic League, but being shorthanded before the first practice pitch of the season does not bode well for the future.

I wonder if Stewart and Mounce lost any sleep over their decisions. If they did, I certainly did not find any of their lost sleep.

Love,
Ryan

4 comments:

Caitlin said...

isn't aquafina part of pepsi co.?

Anonymous said...

Anon-a-Moose has confirmed that Aquafina is a Pepsi product.

Anonymous said...

maybe it was stake and shake that kept you up

Anonymous said...

Well done, sir.

But there is only one "C" in SHTICK!

Take it from a man of Hebraic origins.