Sunday, July 8, 2007

Explanation and belated quotes

The Patriots hopes of winning the Atlantic League South Division first-half title and securing the accompanying playoff berth ended Saturday night. You can read about the Camden Riversharks title-clinching 7-6 victory here.
In case anyone is wondering, the story has no quotes or reaction because the game ran late and I had an 11 p.m. deadline. The game ended at 10:40 and because of the nature of the game, I wrote three different stories. One where the Patriots lose quietly, one where they come back and steal a momentum-starting victory and the final one where they lost a heartbreaker.
Here are a couple quotes from Sunday morning, and there will be more in Wednesday's paper when I write a first-half season review.

Manager Sparky Lyle:
"We battled back to get to where we were pretty confident going into the ninth."

"There's no give-up in these guys (the Patriots). We scored five runs and all we've got to do is hold them.It was very disheartening."

First baseman Josh Pressley:
"Obviously a lot of guys poured their hearts out trying to win."

Closer R.D. Spiehs, who blew the save and took the loss after tossing a scoreless eighth inning:
"The biggest thing I'm disappointed in is the walk to (Denny) Abreu. He fouled off a couple good pitches and it was 3-2. I said, 'I'm throwing my slider,' because I thought I could get a swing and a miss or a ground ball double play. But the pitch wasn't even close."

"I felt better in the ninth than in the eighth. In the eighth I was behind in counts."

No comments: