Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Worst Fourth of July Ever

Did you enjoy your hot dogs? How about your hamburgers? Yuenglings for everyone?
Well not this guy.
I spent my Fourth of July in Lancaster, Pa. and it was a disaster.
While my girlfriend and all her friends partied away the holiday, I spent the day in rainy Amish Country writing filer stories. I arrived at the ballpark at 3:30 for a 7 p.m. start and the game never happened. Was it called at 7? Nope, they waited until 9.
Of all the things the Atlantic League does poorly -- and there are plenty -- rain delays might be the worst. Fans always are uninformed of the game status, and the press corps should not find out from the PA announcement. This is not an indictment on Lancaster because it happens everywhere.
Now, I'm back at the Westfield Inn, 20 minutes outside of Lancaster, bored out of my mind. There is only a McDonald's and Bob Evans in sight and none of the players or other media have Internet access.
Thankfully, the Courier has given me a Verizon wireless card. Points for them. Zero points for Lancaster, Pa.

FYI: All-stars are announced Thursday. I'll post the selections as soon as I have them.

No comments: