Monday, January 22, 2007

What I'm thinking

After a wild weekend filled with rivalry games, upsets and some blowouts, here are my thoughts:

1. The Skyland Delaware East is very, very good. We all know about Hillsborough and Watchung Hills, but after seeing 5-7 Immaculata handle 10-1 Somerville, I started rethinking my Somerset County Tournament seedings. Bridgewater-Raritan's convincing defeat of Plainfield, which gave Westfield a handful Thursday afternoon, is also good for the league. Maybe these six teams all deserve a top-8 seed.

2. Voorhees is very, very good. It probably took me too long to realize this, but the only team without a Skyland team without a loss to another Skyland team is simply rolling. They swept rivals Hunterdon Central and North Hunterdon, and then allowed four points -- FOUR!! -- in the second half against a much-improved Delaware Valley team Saturday.

3. Rutgers Prep is the wild card. After reaching the SCT finals the past two seasons, Rutgers Prep holds some clout. Seeding the Argonauts is always a project. For years, coach Mary Klinger had to fight disbelievers for a high seed. Now, people take her at her word. I have not seen Rutgers Prep play, but they did beat North Hunterdon, which beat Hillsborough. That said, a 7-5 record does not jump out and say, "I'm a top-four seed." What Klinger decides to say at the meeting will go a long way toward determining where everyone else falls.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ryan, repeat after me:

Geoff told me I should rank Voorhees in my preseason top 10.

I didn't listen.

I was wrong.

Sorry, Geoff.