Friday, February 22, 2008

Hillsborough's Jim Reese retiring....

In case you missed it in Friday's papers -- which probably are buried under six inches of snow somewhere on your doorstep -- Hillsborough coach Jim Reese retired Thursday after 14 years at the post.

Here is my story with two quotes and Reese's record and background:

http://c-n.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080222/SPORTS03/802220394/1013

Reese was great to me during my three years covering girls basketball. He would talk after a win or a loss, or I could call him at home anytime for a quote about anything. Personable coaches like him make my job easier and more enjoyable. He will be missed.
As my friend Geoff Mosher, who preceded me covering girls basketball and had the beat for six years, said upon hearing the news:
"They should hang his sweater from the rafters."

Reese's last act of good will as a head coach was to help me preview the Somerset County Tournament final. Hillsborough lost to Rutgers Prep and split two games against Watchung Hills this season. Here is what he said:

"The key for Rutgers Prep is if they don't turn it over a lot, I'd give them the edge. They have a freshman point guard (Jacquie Pizzuto) who is going to be a great player -- she is a very good player -- but she is a freshman in the finals for the first time."

"I would think that (Jessica) Zigarelli has to have a big game for Watchung Hills to win. She's the one player on their team can really step up and deliver a big game."

Key matchups: Forwards Stephanie Lupo (Watchung Hills) vs. Ranait Griff (Rutgers Prep) & point guards Susie Schaffer (Watchung Hills) vs. Jacquie Pizzuto (Rutgers Prep)

"I think given the two (Rutgers Prep's one senior but a deep bench versus Watchung Hills' five seniors and small bench) I like the depth factor, but you're talking to a coach who won two county championships in the last three years with no depth."

"I think (Watchung Hills coach) Sandy (Whelan) has done a great job. That program was terrible when she took over."

"Being in many finals, the one thing I've noticed is most of the time both teams play well."

2 comments:

Hillsbill said...

Jim Is a Class Act. I've had a couple of kids that have played for Jim and I always felt that he was a good coach and an even better person! Good luck to him in his retirement and we will miss him.

Anonymous said...

Rutgers Prep wins by double digits, and the game will be decided in the first half..

Why?

1. They are in better shape.
2. They play great defense.
3. All of that Coach's kids know how important rebounds are, and how to take care of the ball.

Question--Why no info for the Rutgers Prep Coach? Don't know anything about her, probably because I only read your paper and saw her team for the first time Tuesday night, but she seems to run a tight program. Is she not so quotable?

Keep up the good work, Ryan.