Monday, February 11, 2008

Somerset Patriots: Pressley to the Marlins

Somerset Patriots first baseman/designated hitter Josh Pressley has inked a deal with the Florida Marlins and will report next Monday to spring training with the Triple-A team. He was planning on returning to Somerset for a second season and had even begun recruiting other players to the team before the Marlins called.
Pressley hit .281 with 92 hits, 18 doubles, 13 home runs, and 55 RBI in 327 at bats over 102 games played for the 2007 Patriots. During the playoffs, Pressley hit .333 with eight hits, two home runs,and six RBI in six post-season games.
In a gutsy move that proved his desire to win and loyalness to the team, Pressley, who played through various injuries most of the season, delayed knee surgery needed at the end of the regular season until after the season so that he could participate in the postseason.
He was a fan and media favorite for his work ethic and approachability.
Pressley has experience in the Tampa Bay Devil Rays, New York Mets, KansasCity Royals, Boston Red Sox, St. Louis Cardinals, and Florida Marlins organizations. He began the 2006 season at the Triple-A level for the Red Sox, then split the rest of the season in Double-A for the Cardinals and Marlins, who liked him enough to re-sign him Monday.
I talked to Pressley over the phone for a few minutes after the the deal was announced and here is what he said:

"I know a lot of guys in their front office. It's a real opportunity to play every day in Triple-A. Spring training is only 35 minutes from my house (in Florida) so it's a really good fit."

"It was going to take a very good opportunity to get me away from Somerset. I just wanted to go into an opportunity where I was going to get to compete and be at as high a level as I was in Somerset."

"I'm at the point in my career where I need to know I'm going to be getting at-bats."

"It was hard for me to make that call to (general manager) Pat (McVerry) and to (director of player procurement) Brett (Jodie) and to tell them. But they were great. They said, 'This is what we're here for.' Their support even now has just been amazing."

"It's going to be weird not playing there. I wish I could play there and at the same time have the opportunity that the Marlins are offering. Unfortunately but fortunately I had to move on."

"When they brought me in to their Double-A team (in 2006) I wasn't really prepared. When they brought me in (this time) they said, 'We know you didnt really have a opporunity here.' I have a relationship with them which is important. It's really all about relationships, and I've know these guys going all the way back to my Devil Rays days."

"The whole (Somerset) atmosphere was so refreshing. It got me back to loving the game of baseball."

"I had every intention of coming back (to Somerset). I've been recruiting. After I had my surgery and came out on other side it was a question of 'How was it going to feel after my third knee surgery.' It felt better than it did all year.'"

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great news for Josh!! I heard him speak last year at a function and found him to be a very nice person. Somerset is going to miss him!

Paul Hadsall said...

I'm glad Josh is getting another shot at affiliated ball. He was one of my favorites on last year's team.

Anonymous said...

You folks never had the pleasure of knowing Josh during his formative years playing Little League and Legion baseball in Bangor, Maine. I was the president of a Little League that had to meet and beat Josh's team in order to move on to the State Little League tournament that year, and it was only through good fortune that he had pitched the game previous and was not allowed, by Little League rules, to pitch against us. His fastball was as small as an asprin tablet and his curve dropped too quickly out of the zone, making those two pitches impossible to hit.

He is exceptional ball player and an even more exceptional young man. When I drove three hours to watch him play for the Binghamton Mets against our beloved Portland Sea Dogs in the AA Eastern League a few seasons ago, he took the time to come over, renew acquaintances, reminisce, and never gave the impression that he had to be somewhere else at the moment.

He is always the first one to take responsibility for his behavior and his emotions and his response to a situation in Kansas which was not of his own doing is a textbook case of athletes not letting adversity get in the way of their development. When life gave Josh lemons, he made lemonade out of them.

We in Maine are extremely proud of Josh and wish him every success in the Marlin organization

Anonymous said...

After getting more than 10000 visitors/day to my website I thought your cndunleavy.blogspot.com website also need unstoppable flow of traffic...

Use this BRAND NEW software and get all the traffic for your website you will ever need ...

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com

In testing phase it generated 867,981 visitors and $540,340.

Then another $86,299.13 in 90 days to be exact. That's $958.88 a
day!!

And all it took was 10 minutes to set up and run.

But how does it work??

You just configure the system, click the mouse button a few
times, activate the software, copy and paste a few links and
you're done!!

Click the link BELOW as you're about to witness a software that
could be a MAJOR turning point to your success.

= = > > http://get-massive-autopilot-traffic.com