Friday, February 15, 2008

Somerset County Tournament semifinals predictions

Predictions are back...even though I am proving only to be good at picking the obvious winners and bad at guessing the upsets. I do deserve credit for trying to pick upsets, though, don't I? My record would be much better if I picked only the favorites.
That said, I will now pick the favorites, but I URGE YOU TO READ SATURDAY'S NEWSPAPER. It has much, much more on the games, including a coach's analysis for both games. I figure you are more likely to listen to a coach than to me.
Special thanks to Immaculata's Jen Hilgenberg and Gill St. Bernard's Mergin Sina for agreeing to help me with those scouting reports.

Rutgers Prep vs. Franklin, 2

Girls basketball might be a guard's game, but this match-up is for the forwards. There are quite a few on both sides (Darnae Beverley, Taylor Jeffers, Felicia Mgbada, Ranait Griff, Kelsey Rene, Ranjana Chakravarthy) capable of coming up big. Both teams have plenty of experience, too, and I am expecting an extremely well played game. I think it will be up for grabs with 2:00 to play, and the Argonauts execution in the halfcourt makes for the slimmest of differences.
Rutgers Prep 49, Franklin 48

Watchung Hills vs. Bridgewater-Raritan, 4

Before I knew anything about girls basketball in this area, Watchung Hills supposedly was a downtrodden program and Bridgewater-Raritan had a strong program. You can all verify that -- I have, no matter how difficult it is for me to believe. For the three years I've known Somerset County basketball, it's been the complete opposite. Watchung Hills has been knocking -- maybe even pounding -- on the door to the SCT final and Bridgewater-Raritan has immensly struggled. Would I be surprised if Bridgewater-Raritan played another great game with its nothing-to-lose underdog mentality? No. But I think the door opens this year for the Warriors.
Watchung Hills 52, Bridgewater-Raritan 41

No comments: